April showers sound harmless, don’t they? After all, what’s a “shower” but a delicate sprinkling of rain to help the May flowers bloom? However, with temperatures on the rise, April’s rain can trigger more than just floral growth: melting snow and heavy rain can cause water to pool in and around your home, resulting in water damage and damp that won’t exactly look, or smell, like a rose garden.
Here at Miller Restoration, we want you to look forward to warmer temperatures! Did you know that our team can help you reverse and prevent water damage from spreading throughout your home? Even if you can’t predict damp or flooding, you can count on the Miller team to provide you with customized solutions that will get your home looking, and feeling, its best for spring.
How Does Water Get into Your Home?
Unwelcome water is no picnic; especially if you’re not sure where it’s coming from. Flooding and leaks can come from a variety of sources:
· Broken water supper lines
· Tub / sink overflow
· Appliance malfunctions (like a dishwasher or washing machine)
· Sump pump failures
· Sewage leaks
· Ground surface water
It’s important that, if you notice water in your home, you determine the source immediately. Not all flood waters are the same, and some types of leaks can be more dangerous than others. We assess and treat damage from: Clean water leaks from water lines, sinks, and tubs. Generally, they don’t pose a risk on personal health or safety; Grey water leaks can cause some illness; and black water leaks which have the potential to make homeowners severely ill. Grey and black water leaks are typically caused by sump pump or sewage leaks, as well and standing water.
During the winter months, leaves, ice, and mud can clog gutters, downspouts, and sewage grates. Unfortunately, higher temperatures mean that fast melting and increased amounts of rain will get to your gutters before you do! Before you set aside a precious Sunday to do spring yardwork, you may find water has made its entrance into your home by way of cracked concrete, window caulking, or leaky pipes.
While clean water leaks are OK to handle on your own, the bacteria from grey or black water will need to be decontaminated properly to ensure that bacteria and other contaminants do not spread.
How We Can Help!
Don’t get yourself in hot water—simply give us a call and we’ll take care of the rest. Our team of experts can extract water, waste, and any materials that appear contaminated or damaged, too. We do more than just remove the water: we make sure your space is safe and tidy.
Even a space that appears to have little to no damage can be saturated with damp. That’s why we rely on our equipment to detect what the eye cannot; you can’t see moisture lurking below your floorboards, or water that’s settled into your drop ceiling. We have the right equipment to detect moisture and extract water. Here are just some of the many services we offer to combat water damage and its effects:
· Deodorization & Neutralization: if you have a lingering scent that won’t go away, even after you’ve cleaned up a leak, then call our experts. You’ll get a team of trained professionals who know how to eliminate strong odours using a special combination of counteractants and environmentally friendly cleaning supplies to effectively remove stubborn scents without damaging your home or its surfaces.
· Mould remediation: Did you know that, in the right conditions, mould can take form and begin to spread in as little as 48 hours? And, unfortunately, some strains of mould aren’t just unpleasant to look at but can have a devastating effect on your health, too. If you see mould, or suspect you might have some, Miller restoration has the right tools to get it out of sight and out of mind. We have strict protocols and techniques that are used to test air, culture, and can help homeowners and businesses remove the mould as well as provide restoration services.
· Applied structural drying: How do you dry out your home? We’re equipped to help you restore your home after a clean leak. Water damage can migrate deep into the structures of your home and cause mould and damp to build, which will cause your home to weaken from the inside out. Our non-destructive techniques will effectively draw water out of your home. And we don’t stop with one treatment: we will continue to dry your home and measure damp until we’re satisfied.
· Sanitation: regular cleaning products are not enough to cleanse areas that may have been affected by contaminated water or have substantial mould growth. Non-abrasive and non-destructive chemicals are used to ensure that all areas of your home are safe for you and your loved ones. We’ll take inventory of affected household items and can offer you laundering and dry-cleaning services so that your items are properly cleaned.
Our extensive services mean that we can address mild to severe water and flood damage properly. Don’t just cover up or temporarily address flooding in your home, banish the problem for good with our preventative services!
When it rains, it pours . . . so be prepared!
Call the Miller Restoration team restore your home and help you protect against future flooding. Having flood déjà vu? Try our unique DIY “Dry it Yourself” service today! It’s an effective solution for homeowners who experience mild flooding but don’t have the proper tools. Our staff is available 24/7 and will have you singin’